Interview with Fiona Jayde


One of the most talented writers I have the pleasure to know, Fiona Jayde, has a new book release out today! On the chat loop we share with the also fabulously-talented Beth Kery, we have a release day ritual in which we interview one another. I wanted to post the interview here as well, since Fiona's answers provide a great peek into what makes her books so unique.

If you haven't picked up SEXSOMNIAC already, what are you waiting for? It released this morning at Changeling Press.

LS: Once again, congratulations on your new release, Fi! The book looks wonderful, and I'm head-over-heels in love with that cover. :-) Very hot stuff!


FJ: Thanks Lacey! I too can't stop staring at the cover -- Renee outdid herself!!

LS: You said this was a new genre for you... Where did you get the impulse to write this book? And how did the idea develop for you?


FJ: Originally the idea came from Chrissie, my editor at Changeling. We were chatting over IM and she sent me a link to an article she'd found -- about sexsomnia - its an actual condition. .... The idea took hold as a curse -- what if someone was cursed to "do it" when they sleep, but can't really remember it afterwards?

I had it set as a contemporary, but for the life of me I couldn't figure why someone would curse someone with that and why the readers would care... So about half way into a very boring story, I had a flash of inspiration :)

LS: You also said you had a hard time getting a grasp on your plot and had to re-write quite a bit. Why do you think this particular story gave you so much trouble?

FJ: I've thought about this for a while actually. The problem was -- I had an idea of a premise -- but not how it would actually apply in conflict. Conflict is a big thing for me -- if there's no tension, I'm bored, and if I'm bored, I won't write...

So I figured that before I sit to write, I really need to establish my conflicts to know where the story will go.

LS: I see that Changeling has the book listed as "TechnoMagick: Sexsomniac". What can you tell us about future installments in the TechnoMagick series?


FJ: More exploration of Magick and how humans have this love hate relationship with what they do not understand.

LS: Most authors struggle with self-doubt on a regular basis. How do you handle feelings of insecurity when they pop up?


FJ: Well, you'd know that if you saw my first drafts LOL. I don't entertain self doubt until after edits -- I just focus on getting pages done. 200 words or 2000 words -- and most of it is complete crap :) But its in - and I can fix it later. Then I send it to people to look at and worry.. But at least its done:)

LS: What do you do when you're stuck for inspiration?


FJ: I throw out questions at TripleExposees to spark my imagination!!

LS: What's the one thing you'd like to achieve in your writing career, so that when you achieve it you can put up your feet and say, "I made it!" ?


FJ: Honestly? If Nora Roberts says in an interview "Well, I'll ready anything by Fiona Jayde"

---

I don't know about Nora, but I can guarantee I'll read anything by Fiona Jayde. And you should, too.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Lyndi Lamont said...

Hi Lacey,

I love the look of your new blog, very sensual.

Lyndi

4:42 PM  
Blogger Fiona Jayde said...

Love the blog Lacey! And thanks for posting my interview:)
--Fi

4:51 PM  
Blogger Lacey Savage said...

You're too sweet, Linda, thank you. I had a blast working with that hunky picture. :-)

5:10 PM  
Blogger Lacey Savage said...

Thanks, Fi! And you're more than welcome. I thought your answers were wonderful. :-)

5:11 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I am looking for similar books to Take Me There and am excited to see this book review. I am looking forward to seeing more reviews and can't wait to check out this book.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Lacey Savage said...

Melissa -- I'm delighted you enjoyed the interview. I'm certain you'll love Fiona's work. She's wonderful!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home