Book Review: Style Statement

Another recommendation straight from my book journal. If you've ever looked at your closet, your office, or even your career path and thought, "Gee... I wish all this stuff could really reflect who I am," then you must read this book.

Title: Style Statement
Series: N/A
Author: Carrie McCarthy & Danielle LaPorte
Genre: Non-Fiction / Psychology / Health, Mind and Body
Format: Softcover
Publisher: Little, Brown
Pub. Date: April, 2008
Page Count: 256
My Rating: A (85%)


First Sentence
: In a materialistic culture obsessed with image, it can be hard to stay in touch with your real self.

Blurb: Style Statement is an inspiring take on the power of style and authenticity. Deemed "style psychotherapists," Carrie and Danielle are the creators of the Style Statement: a two-word compass that helps you make more confident choices in life -- from your wardrobe to your relationships, your living room to your career plans.

Part workbook, part inspirational narrative, Style Statement presents a series of inquiries that lead readers to the personal words that guide the spirit, look and feel of their life. The first word represents your foundation, your 80%. The second word, your 20%, is what motivates and distinguishes you.

Via Carrie and Danielle's Lifestyle Map, readers then explore how their own unique Style Statement can generate momentum in every area of their life.

My Brief Comments: This book is a treat for the senses. It’s beautiful to look at, lovely to touch, and engaging to read. I enjoyed all the first-person accounts of individual style statements. I was surprised by the level of focus on journaling and self-discovery, but it makes sense, considering the end result is supposed to be two words that apply to every part of your life: from the shoes you wear to the career you choose and the friends you make. In the end, I was thrilled and pleasantly surprised by my style statement. Sensual Artist. Two words that describe me perfectly. In the future, I’ll be sure to draw on this style statement when making decisions, whether aesthetic or internal.

Lacey
http://www.laceysavage.com

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Classic Lustre said...

HI Lacey,

Thanks so much for writing about Style Statement. We appreciate every mention we get in the blogosphere.

So, did you figure out your own S.S.? We'd love to hear about it.

Keep in touch,

Best
Karryn

12:42 PM  
Blogger Lacey Savage said...

Karryn,

Thanks for getting in touch. STYLE STATEMENT is such a powerful book. I'm delighted to recommend it.

My own S.S. is "sensual artist" - two words that fit me perfectly. Since figuring it out, I've been able to apply it to a number of things, from buying new clothes to rearranging my desk. It's amazing how two little words can have such a powerful impact.

Thanks again,
Lacey

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home